Saturday 3 May 2014

Not-So-Black-And-White

I don't know about you, but I'm loving Mix or Match May!  All three days of it.  I like having a reason to try some different looks, and each day I've discovered successful pairings that I wouldn't otherwise have tried.  I am sharing on Instagram and Facebook even when I don't have time to blog, so check them out!  Today, I took my high-low hem black and white stripe tank, thrifted at VV Boutique for $7, and styled it matchy-matchy, midway mix-not-match and full-on mix-not-match.  We know stripes are perfect for mixing, yet there is still a pull towards matchy, and it does give a nice classic vibe.
Accessories from my closet

I call the next few looks midway mix-not-match because they're not exactly revolutionary; I would reach for these pieces without putting much thought into it...
Thrifted earrings and necklace
Red pants $2.50 Hope Missions Bargain Shoppe, "Vegan" bomber jacket $5.60 VV Boutique
Gifted thrifted red Miz Mooz and accessories from my closet
Notice I'm getting wild and crazy by mixing the black and brown.

For my true mix-not-match look, I chose the pants I would be least likely to wear with this top and went from there.  Lo and behold, I LOVE how it turned out with three patterns AND mixing black and blue!
Accessories from my closet
Love love love!

One matchy, four mixed... which do you like best?

Despite my love for the last look, I was heading off to a scrapbooking sleepover and needed to be a bit more casual and comfy, so I kept the pants and changed the finishing layer.
Chambray $4.20 VV Boutique

You may notice something else startling... my shoes!  In case you didn't know (like how I didn't know until 2 days ago), "ugly" sandals are a thing.  I've never been a big Birkenstock girl, but I have many friends who are loyal to their Birks like I'm loyal to the mustard cardi
 
 Lucky for me, my mother-in-law bequeathed me a pair in my size, 
so you may just see me styling these bad boys (er, if you can call a hippie sandal "bad") this summer.

So there you go.  I'm sitting here in mixed patterns, mixed neutrals and a chambray, content as a clam with plenty of ideas how to style a basic top in some not-so-black-and-white ways!


4 comments:

  1. I am eliminating "pleather" out of my lexicon and replacing it with "vegan leather"...you have BRILLIANT style semantics!

    Fun "ugly sandal" story: Once upon a time I bought white "fakenstocks" in Thailand to complete my hobo-chic (super-poor grad student) summer outfits while back in the Canada. I wore them to yoga one day and someone accidentally wore home my fake, not-so-comfy Birks...leaving their real and much-more-comfy Birks (same size, style, and colour) in their place. I put up a sign to try and rectify the situation, but apparently the universe decided I needed REAL ugly sandals! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have equally compelling therapy semantics (i.e., use your tall man, let's do some squirreling, let's see your big ninja muscles). That's a pretty funny story about the Firks. Bless your heart for trying! Hope you still have them and can style them up while the going is good!

      Delete
  2. Just found your blog via the Yeggies nominee list- and I'm happy I did!
    I LOVE THRIFT SHOPPING. People think I'm nuts! Haha I'll be snooping here from now on!

    Dakota (fellow Edmonton blogger:)
    http://stateandoccupation.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by Dakota! And please do come back - the YEG thrift community is slowly coming out of the woodwork! I organize some thrifting events now and then and would love to meet you! Your blog looks lovely - I will enjoy browsing the archives!

      Delete

Comments make my day!