Friday 22 August 2014

San Fran Thrift-Score

One of my favourite things to do anytime when travelling is checking out the local thrift stores!  Almost every little town has one and on my recent getaway to San Francisco and Napa Valley, there were more thrifty options than I had time to consider!  But when you're dedicated like me,  you'll even take time away from wine tours to thrift!!  I managed to shop three different locations and had success, of course.   My husband was quite accommodating; as long as he got to go to Boccalone,
he was happy to tag along wherever I wanted - after all, it was last year on our anniversary date that he found Hugo Boss blazers and became a thrift-shopping convert!  Without further ado, here is a recap of my Northern California thrifting adventures!

We walked to this thrift shop after visiting the famous crooked Lombard Street, and it is a true thrift store with a mission that I can get behind!
I like going to this kind of thrift shop.  The bigger thrift shops (which I also love, don't get me wrong) sometimes feel like the Winners of thrift shops.  These little ones often have better prices and unique finds even if there is less selection and more, er, mission (which is even better to support IMHO).
I found one vintage dress but ultimately decided to leave it behind...
If I was a petite, this top would have got its Canadian Citizenship.

I didn't have time to try stuff on (and I might have skipped that anyway!), but I ended up coming home with 3 tops for $10, no tax (another benefit of non-profit thrift shops), to be featured here soon!
http://photos-b.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xaf1/10593520_254112728131681_2075677510_n.jpg
How could I leave a colourful long lightweight STRIPED sweater behind?!  Especially for $3!!
Loved the counter message from San Francisco City Impact!


The next day, Mr. Style indulged my need to hit a bigger store so we went to a nearby Goodwill.
This sight warms my road-tripping heart.
I could have spent all day here...
 
Basic black pumps are on my hunting list, so I cried that these were not in my size.

However, these Vince Camuto shoes were in my size!
Unfortunately they were the "barely walkable" style and my suitcase was too small to bring them home.
But I enjoyed standing in them a while.
I wanted to wear this yesterday, unfortunately, Fall hit Edmonton.  
Everly is becoming a favourite thrifted brand!
Silk J Crew dress with pockets for $5.50!!!!!  I don't know when I'm going to wear this, but I had to have it.
Especially since someone else was stalking it.  YNTBTFO
There were so many denim options that I began to feel blasé about Seven for all Mankind.
I took these Citizen of Humanity crops home!  And the top too!
Thrifting Regret Syndrome, TRS, is when you leave something you should have thrifted behind.
This blush leather coat was maybe a bit small and maybe needed some TLC, but still... sniff..
Plaid Fossil bag for $8.50 coordinates perfectly with my bird scarf.



We did take a mid-wine-tour thrifting break on Sunday, National Thrift Shop Day but all the shops were closed!  So the next morning I hit the local Community Projects, and good thing I waited because it was 50% off day and the place was hopping!
This shop was huge!  A great place for home decor when you're not packing a carry-on.
And this was "full" price.
I heart local thrift shops!
My fitting room stash...
This top is a little *too* vintage and the skirt is a little too middle slit.
Oxblood button-down is on trend for fall, and only one dollar!
Red boxy top is lacking in my wardrobe, till now!!
These two vintage dresses had potential but the pouffy sleeves on the floral were quite something 
and the buttons on the blue popped with every movement.  It's "popping tags" not "popping buttons."

Community Projects is an amazing place!  It is staffed by 125 volunteers and they donate profits to the tune of $50 000 a month to local organizations.  The volunteers meet and vote on applications and all agree where monthly funding should go.  So awesome!  It was the perfect end to my thrifting adventures!  

On the way to the airport, we stopped by an outlet mall and I wasn't the least bit tempted.  Outlet shopping can't compete with thrifting!  Where's the thrill of the hunt?  Where's the creativity in finding treasures and thinking what you can do with them?!  How can outlet "bargains" compete with $1 pieces where the profit goes to local good?!!  Thrifting all the way!


6 comments:

  1. "There were so many denim options that I began thinking Seven for all Mankind was blase." Did you mean passe? Blase means indifferent, seems like an odd word choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No that is the word I wanted but I used it incorrectly and have now fixed it. As much as I like comments, ones like this seem to miss the point of the post. I hope my grammar error doesn't prevent you from seeing the value and fun in thrifted fashion.

      Delete
  2. thanks for sharing your adventures, love the God stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Anonymous! I love the God stuff too! The staff there were incredible.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing your finds! I am so interested now that you have me hooked on thrifting. I felt TRS after I left your sale in July. Janet D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha once you start thrifting, you get hooked! Glad you're a convert! (and grateful for all your support!)

      Delete

Comments make my day!