Sunday 10 August 2014

Happy 2nd Birthday VV Boutique Style!

August 10th is a special day for me!  This is the day that I started blogging way back in 2012 when I was only 38 in attempt to make the best of a stressful time.  I can honestly say that my husband losing his job turned out to be a huge blessing for our family!  Not only did he move onto a great job where he is thriving, but I have found so much joy in this secondhand style adventure that would never have happened otherwise.  It is simply lovely when life surprises you like that!

YES I have been keeping track again this year of my shopping and before I confess that I blew my budget out of the water, let me share a few things...

Why you should read this blog:

Fashion, style and lifestyle bloggers are even more prolific now than two years ago.  There are SO many, it begs the question, why read VV Boutique Style?
  • VV Boutique Style is not just a pretty picture!  (In fact, my kids take most of my pictures and that leaves no room for fancy editorial shenanigans.)  I LOVE thrifted style but I also love sharing my perspective and humour here.  I can't guarantee I'm always appropriate (!), but I can guarantee I'm always authentic.  I think my posts are entertaining and I hope you think the same!
  • I am a regular everyday woman like you.  I don't have a perfect body, I don't have a big budget, and I don't have much time - if I can make fashion work for me, I think you can too! 
  • The blog is where I feature my thrift guiding adventures!  Last year, when I put up a "hire me" page, I had no idea I would have the chance to shop with so many amazing women!  It is my favourite thing to take women thrifting and help them experience VV victory!  
  • Smart women shop secondhand.  Combining secondhand shopping with investment pieces and supporting local is the path to accessible fashion, IMHO.  Ultimately, I want to share the thrifting love and the blog is where I do that best.
Why you should follow VV Boutique Style on Facebook and Twitter:
 
 I link up my posts on Facebook and Twitter and strive for other interesting posts on those platforms as well.  I also post info there first for any upcoming thrifting events and link up to other good thrifting blogs and resources.  
  

Why you should follow VV Boutique Style on Instagram:
I love Instagram.  It's like Facebook without the BS.  Sorry, did I say that?  (that's the inappropriateness I was mentioning)  I don't always have time to blog, so you will find even more thrifted style on my Instagram feed along with the occasional picture of puppies, kids, wine or other things I find amusing.  I don't always correlate my IG posts with my blog posts, and my blog posts are always more than just a recap of photos from IG.  So it's best to follow both!!

Why you should follow VV Boutique Style on Pinterest:
Pinterest makes me happy.  Just browsing through my Style board is relaxing for me, and Pinterest is where I keep my thrift hunting list, thrifted pieces, and other blog inspiration.  I have a lot of other boards and feel free to follow them too! There may be the odd pin of Gerard Butler, who can help it.

Why you should follow VV Boutique Style on Google +:
If you follow me on Google +, maybe you can tell me how it works!  I still don't quite get it but my profile has a decent number of views so I'm going with "if it ain't broke don't fix it."

Have I convinced you to join the VV Boutique Style community yet?  I hope so because this blog, this hobby and all its platforms bring me even more joy when they are shared!

Okay, back to budget talks.  Like last year, I kept track of all my thrifted purchases this year and there is bad news, good news and even more good news.

First, the bad news: though I budgeted* $1000, I spent way slightly more.  Drum roll...

GRAND TOTAL: $1390.30 

*loose term indicating a vague amount for me to stay within AKA I'm not a budgeter


The first good news: for that amount, I got 271 pieces which is also way more than last year but the average cost per piece was $5.13.  And that, my friends, is LOWER than last year's cost per piece of $5.41.

Just like last year, that sounds like a lot of pieces and it is, but I have had a fair amount of coming and going in my closet.  It's a happening place.

The second good news is that even though I blew the budget, I earned more than I spent through my VV Boutique business endeavours and recently selling some of my pieces for a song at the Sister Thrifters Backyard Boutique sale.  So really, I'm in the black and should probably go shopping ASAP.

Like last year, my grand total may sound like a lot but the amount is low compared to clothing budget recommendations relative to my family's income AND I know even budget conscious bloggers typically spend more.  I challenge YOU to add up every dollar you spent on tops, bottoms, dresses, scarves, bags, shoes, boots, accessories, swimwear and outerwear!  Anyone?  Anyone??  Anyway, doesn't really matter because I am happy with my thrifting adventures this year and I can't wait for more!

VV Boutique Style is heading into threenager-hood so you can expect a lot of whining and inflexibility from me.  Also, more thrifted fashion, special events like Fashion's Night Out and the second annual Edmonton Thrifting Championship, maybe a little Black Out Style in the dead of winter and of course, everyday style tips that I learn and share.  I'm super excited about Sister Thrifters, otherwise known as an excuse to thrift/a good reason to never ever leave a good thrift behind!  I once found a Philosophy dress and practically cried that it didn't fit me or anyone I knew; that will never happen again thanks to Sister Thrifters!!  I can't wait to kick off another year of thrifting joy, and in the meantime, here are some of the highlights from the past year...
http://vvboutiquestyle.blogspot.ca/2013/08/flattered-by-flatter-me-belts.html
http://vvboutiquestyle.blogspot.ca/2013/08/mr-style-scores-some-boss.html
http://vvboutiquestyle.blogspot.ca/2013/09/mix-not-match.html
http://vvboutiquestyle.blogspot.ca/2013/09/super-su-style.html
http://vvboutiquestyle.blogspot.ca/2013/10/happy-vv-boutique-halloween.html
http://vvboutiquestyle.blogspot.ca/2013/11/creole-curves.html
http://vvboutiquestyle.blogspot.ca/2013/12/30-degrees-dressember.html
http://vvboutiquestyle.blogspot.ca/2014/01/closet-expose.html
http://vvboutiquestyle.blogspot.ca/2014/01/go-primary-or-go-home.html
http://vvboutiquestyle.blogspot.ca/2014/04/looking-lucky-easter-pastels.html
http://vvboutiquestyle.blogspot.ca/2014/05/yeggies-in-vintage.html
http://vvboutiquestyle.blogspot.ca/2014/05/nicole-on-breakfast-tv.html
http://vvboutiquestyle.blogspot.ca/2014/05/matchy-matchy-mix-not-match.html
http://vvboutiquestyle.blogspot.ca/2014/06/packing-with-chantel-live-blogging-event.html
http://vvboutiquestyle.blogspot.ca/2014/06/anthropologie-esque-almost-party-dress.html
http://vvboutiquestyle.blogspot.ca/2014/07/road-trip-thrifting-part-deux.html
http://vvboutiquestyle.blogspot.ca/2014/07/wicked-thrifting.html

What was your favourite VV Boutique Style post this year?!

There are good things in store this year, and I am counting VV Boutique Style amongst my many many blessings!  
 
Thanks for reading!


8 comments:

  1. happy anniversary!
    love love love the blog-
    keep up the good work, i cant wait to see whats in store for year 3
    hugs
    su :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so grateful for all your encouragement!! It's going to be a fun year!

      Delete
  2. I am so happy for all that has come to you through this adventure! You have touched many, inspired us all to stretch our fashion choices and impact our own lives by doing so, and you make me smile and laugh out loud whenever I read the blog.

    A toast to you (can you see my wine glass??) and here's to another year of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sniff sniff, thanks for the kind words!! I love that I make you laugh!! That alone is enough for me to keep on keeping on! Love ya sistah!

      Delete
  3. I love your comment that you made more as a consultant than you paid for your clothes over the year means you need to shop more! An awesome reason to shop! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee hee! I am going to note the difference and apply it to next year's budget if need be!!

      Delete
  4. So glad you have a blog archive now. Makes it easier to find stuff! Janet D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. um, I've always had it!! But I'm glad it's easier to see and use now! Also use the search feature - works like a charm! So glad you read, enjoy and offer me so much support and encouragement! Thanks!! love ya!!

      Delete

Comments make my day!