Tuesday 23 December 2014

Fancy Don't Let Me Down

Yep, that's a Reba reference, not just because I'm in a jovial holiday mood but also in honour of a fancy thrift score from my trip to San Francisco last summer - a silk J Crew dress!
$5.50 from Goodwill, going for $100 on eBay!

I have been waiting for a good reason to wear this gorgeous dress and since NO ONE has asked me to be a bridesmaid in a peach-themed wedding, I made my own reason in this week's Monday Style Prompt: wear something fancy with something casual.
Wool grey sweater $4.90 and boots $4.50 VV Boutique
Blanket scarf $4 Salvation Army Thrift Shop

Even though a sweater over a dress is not the slimmest of looks, I enjoy the juxtaposition (thank you Mr. Sappach for that word) of the crew neck and chiffon.  Speaking of high school English teachers, I also have a special affinity for peach having worn a peach mother-of-the-bride suit to my high school grad.  Apparently, I wear all my bridal-related pieces at the wrong time.
Now that is a blanket scarf!  
And in some of my favourite colours - blush, orange, grey!
I just so happen to have coordinating accessories from VV including these bracelets for about $3 total.
 
And this pretty necklace $3.50 from VV Boutique
Earrings by She Does Create

The fashion world keeps talking about winter pastels and today I think I pulled it off. 
Maybe the secret is a ginormous blanket scarf with a pastel palette.  

In any case, this "fancy" J Crew silk dress - with pockets I might add - did not let me down!  I wore it for all my last-minute Christmas errands and other Christmas Eve Eve frivolities...
You can wear your fancy + casual at the rink!

Anyone else trying out the Monday Style Prompt this week?  This is the perfect week to break out some sparkly and just wear it with whatever else you're wearing!  I'll be taking a few days blogging hiatus to celebrate Christmas with my family but you can find my fancy/casual looks on Instagram and Facebook


Merry Christmas!

For unto us a Child is born,
Unto us a Son is given;
And the government will be upon His shoulder.
And His name will be called
Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
Isaiah 9: 6

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! Did u see the recent post on the mom edit about how to wear a sparkly skirt with something casual? Love this look. Jd

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would wear this exact oufit!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day!