Saturday 27 December 2014

Thriftmas Highlights

Christmas is coming down in my house tomorrow - mainly because all the needles have fallen off our tree and I'm worried the ornaments are going to start dropping like flies - so before it's officially gone, I thought I would share some of my "Thriftmas" highlights!

A Christmas Eve tradition in our family is to open games and jammies and I thrifted them all!
Five vintage games - Risk was not even opened - for $10.50.
Candyland, your reign is over.
Christmas nightie, princess robe and matching pj bottoms for the boys!

For Christmas morning, I helped my kids find secondhand gifts for each other...
My daughter got dolls from her brothers...
She's still not sure what to make of Raggedy Ann...

And she got her brothers a wallet and book...
Christmas morning moments are harder to capture than I anticipated!
My older son got a leather Roots wallet and a Calvin and Hobbes anthology - I LOVE seeing him love such a classic!

My husband and I tried to find gifts for the kids that fell into the "something to wear, something to read, something you want and something you need" categories...
A new blazer for fancy parades and other important occasions.
And a jersey for the skating fanatic!

They all got a few books including the complete Lord of the Rings set and pop-up books in mint condition for my daughter.  Thrift shops are a great place to find books!  I even found several titles that have been on my hunting list for a while, you know, as suggested gifts for my husband to give to me.
Going back to work after the holidays is really going to interfere with my reading itinerary.

We turned to another secondhand source - Kijiji - to find gifts in the "want" category at a fraction of the price of regular retail. 
A GT Snow Racer with a fresh coat of pink paint so my daughter can keep up with her bros!
And Skylander games and figurines in their original boxes for our old Wii.
My sons jumped up and did a falling-down victory hug, they were so excited!

For the "need" category, I got them each a Flatter:Me kids "Me Too" belt.  My fave belt, designed by Edmontonian Claire Theaker-Brown, for kids?!!  Obviously that's a NEED!!  The kids line is not available online yet but Claire and Kristina recently opened an Edmonton office in Start Up Edmonton so you can shop local and score the perfect belt for your children!
I asked her to give me a fashion blogger pose to show off the belt.
I don't know why I expected that would mean she would stand up.
Why stand up when you can lean, stretch and gaze?
(that's her thrifted nightie BTW)

I scored several great thrifted gifts for my hubby!
Holiday pancake molds for $2.80 are perfect for the dad who lives for pancake art!
I also scored a piece for his Christmas village - a cafe for $9 - but didn't get a photo.  Bad me.
Cashmere and silk Banana Republic sweater for $7!
New-with-tags long sleeve tee and this Emanuel Ungaro sweater jacket for $7!!!!

I might have helped him and the kids find secondhand things for moi!
In all my morning splendor, my new grey wool coat for $17.50!
Plus a metallicy iridescent scarf that he chose out all by himself!
Miz Mooz shoes under the tree will make any woman smile!

Even Santa got some gifts secondhand including...
How could Santa possibly leave these behind?
Santa forgot to remove the price tag on this game that retails for $20 (on sale).  
Fortunately my son was delighted to realize Santa brought second-hand gifts (and was miraculously none the wiser!).

I also thrifted teachers gifts this year, gifts for extended family and friends, and gifts for other exchanges.  I am so pleased with how the Secondhand Christmas challenge worked out!  Though it took a bit more time and effort, everyone in my family embraced the challenge and put more thought into their giving and enjoyed receiving all the more!  I think Thriftmas might just be our new holiday tradition! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day!