Tuesday 2 October 2012

Two for One Tuesday

This day just got better!  Not only do I have two ensembles to share, but I also managed to hit on two trends that have been on my radar!  AND I will share some awesome links for style stuff that you (yes YOU the everyday woman) need!

Here is Ensemble One worn yesterday when I was lacking a photographer!  
 

I'm sure you appreciate the "real life" styling of the photo!  Yep, I planned my husband's ugly crocs to be in that photo.  I'm going to break it down for ya: (because I love a bulleted list)
  • The jacket is a third-hand newcomer to my closet from my favourite Megan (and her super stylish mom).  I had the shoulder pads removed and love the grey-pink-plum tweed and interesting collar.  Cost $0.
  • The Banana Republic red polka dot button-down top was new with the tags on at VV Boutique.  Polka dots are hot, but that wasn't one of the trends I was hinting at!  I wore this before on Fashion's Night OutCost $10.
  • The pants are a pseudo denim trouser pant $9 from VV Boutique.  I liked how the hue coordinated with the jacket without being an exact gray match.  
  • The burgundy reddish belt is a billion years old from my closet, and the bangles are hand-me-downs from my thrifter sister.  Cost $0.
  • Now for the first trend!  Cap-toe flats!  This two-tone red pair are several years old but I distinctly remember scoring them for $10.  I keep seeing cap-toe shoes pop up on twitter and style blogs (WhoWhatWear's cap toe heels and Lucky Magazine's cap toe ballet flats are but two examples!) and am pleased how mine pick up on the bright red in the top and the darker burgundy in the belt!  


I had a busy day on Monday and was comfortable and content the whole time.... and maybe a bit smug knowing the total cost of my ensemble was right around $30!  Awesome!

Oh, and did I mention I popped into VV Boutique last night?!  I intended to go have a coffee and do some homework but I felt a siren call of what I hoped was a mustard cardi, but turned out to be some other gems including this Italian Merino Wool cardi capturing the second trend: bordeaux!

Bordeaux wool cardi $7 VV Boutique
Blue DKNY cords $9 VV Boutique
Old Navy tank circa 2009
Necklace, gift from my favourite Janet
 
It is long enough to cover my bum and wear with leggings, and a slim enough fit to not look sloppy.  It looks comfy and casual both closed and open...
   
And it has interesting ties that can be left loose or tied.  I actually chopped about 7 inches off each tie and I think that's why it wasn't snatched up right away, since it's in perfect condition.    
I like how this necklace looks pink, purple and/or taupe depending what I pair it with!
Left over right under, right over left and under...
I just tucked these inside and created a pretty v-neckline!
Belted with ties out!
Belted with ties in!
The lightweight wool doesn't look bulky with a belt!

It cost me SEVEN DOLLARS to try this trend and I know this Bordeaux beauty will get lots of wear during the long cold winter!  I had budget on the brain though after stumbling upon an awesome post by J's Everyday Fashion about her September Budget.  I am not a great budgeter by any stretch, but I found it interesting to read about her approach to setting a clothing budget and see what she purchased.  J recommends setting a budget between 2-8% of your net income for clothing.  Being a math nerd, I did a quick calculation and landed on $350 PER MONTH for me and my family as a reasonable estimate for a clothing budget.  Even considering the back-to-school season and my hubby outfitting for a new job, we are way under!  I should probably go shopping tomorrow.

Last link I will share is to my second favourite Megan's Month in Review for September.  Do you see what I saw?  Her skinny cargos are very similar to mine!  I love the month-at-a-glance for outfit inspiration! 

October started off fantastic with a fruitful, trendy and budget-wise trip to VV Boutique!  Now to decide what to wear tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day!